The Eastern Region occupying a land area of 19,323 square km is the sixth largest region in terms of land area. Within a total population of 2,106 (2000 population census) it is the third most populous region after Ashanti and Greater Accra Regions.
The region has 26 political districts with Koforidua as the regional capital.
The region lies within the wet semi-equatorial zone, which is characterized by double maxima rainfall in June and October. The first rainy season is from May to June while the second season is from September to October.
The region has four main geographical features, namely:
The Kwahu scarp with an elevation of 788 meters above sea level
The Atiwa Atwaredu Ranges near Kibi with an elevation of 731 meters
The Akwapim highland attaining an elevation of 466 meters
The isolation hills/mountain dotting the relatively low-lying plains to the south, notably the Krobo and the Yogaga mountains.
The Kwahu scarp and the Atiwa-Atwaredu ranges from the major watershed of the region. It is from these that the major rivers such as the Pra, Birim and the Densu take their source. These rivers and the Volta lake which covers part of the region have high potential for irrigation, farming, inland fishing, water transport as well as source of drinking water for both urban and rural settlements.
Water Supply Systems
Twenty-four (24) water supply systems are currently operational in the region. The system at Achiase has just been rehabilitated. Akim Ofoase system broke down over 30 years ago and is being rehabilitated under the SYIP. The boreholes at Kibi and Aburi supplement the existing systems in Kibi and Akwapim respectively.
The systems are grouped under nine (9) GWCL districts as follows
- New Juaben District: Koforidua Old Treatment and new Headworks at Bukunor
- Nsawam District: Nsawam and Asamankese
- Krobo District: Anum Boso and Krobo area served by Kpong Old works
- Akwapim District: Akwapim area served by Kpong Old works through Akorley and Adukrom Boosters
- Tafo District: Akim Tafo, Begoro, Osino, Bunso, Anyinam and Kwabeng
- Kwahu District: Nkawkaw and Kwahu Ridge served from Kotoso Headworks
- Suhum District: Suhum Kibi and Apedwa/Asafo
- Oda District: Akim Oda, Akim Swedru, Aboabo and Asene
- Kade District: Kade, Asuom and Osenenase